If you are struggling with your mortgage payments or facing foreclosure, you are probably feeling overwhelmed and frustrated. Many homeowners simply don’t know what to do or where to go for assistance and often feel too helpless to take action. Kern Schools is here to help you navigate your options.

Please do not hesitate to call us to discuss your situation further.

Options To Stay In Your Home

Repayment Plan

Are you having trouble with your mortgage payments because of past due amounts and mounting late fees and feel like you can’t catch up? To help get you back on track, find out if a Repayment Plan will work for you. Simply call (661)833-7505, option 2 and ask for a Loss Mitigation Specialist. Depending on your specific situation, you may or may not need to supply additional paperwork to be considered for a repayment plan.

What is a Repayment Plan?

With this option, portions of your past due amount can be added to your current mortgage payments over several months until the past due is paid. Your payments will increase temporarily until the total past due amount has been satisfied.

A Repayment Plan may be an option if:

  • You are facing a short-term hardship
  • You are behind on your mortgage payments
  • You can once again afford your regular monthly payments but you do not have the funds to bring your loan current

Modification Option

Many homeowners have fallen behind on their mortgage and could soon be on the path to foreclosure without assistance from their lender. If this sounds like your situation, you may be eligible to modify your mortgage. Upon approval, the Credit Union could temporarily change the terms of your mortgage to make your monthly payments more affordable. For instance, we could offer an extension of terms on your loan or lower your interest rate for a period of time. Please contact our Loan Modification Department at (661) 833-7505 option 3 or (800) 221-3311 option 3 to get more information on your options.

The process can be expedited with little home work on your part. To better help us to help you, please bring with you or at least be able to quickly provide the following documentation:

  • Last two years tax returns
  • Last 60 days paystubs
  • Last 60 days bank statements
  • A household budget
  • A letter of hardship explaining what has caused you to need a modification

Options When Staying In Your Home Is Not Feasible

Short sale

If you are facing foreclosure and can no longer afford your home, you may qualify for a Short Sale – even if you do not think you can (or have not been able to) sell your home. A Short Sale, also known as a pre-foreclosure sale, is when you sell your home for less than the balance remaining on your mortgage. If your credit union agrees to a short sale, you can sell your home and pay off all or a portion of your mortgage balance with the proceeds. You will need to contact a real estate agent to start this process. For more information on short sales please follow this link, Short Sale Information.

Deed-in-Lieu Option

If you can no longer afford your home and other alternatives to keep your home have not been successful, you may feel like you have reached a dead end and foreclosure is unavoidable. But you may qualify for a Deed-In-Lieu, which would help you avoid foreclosure. A Deed-in-Lieu of Foreclosure (DIL) is where you, the homeowner, voluntarily transfers the ownership of your property (the title and all property associated with it) to the owner of your mortgage in exchange for a release from your mortgage loan and payments. You will be required to supply paperwork for review and may be eligible for a cash payment once you have vacated the property. The property must be your primary residence.

  • A DIL is an alternative to foreclosure and should be considered if:
  • You are facing a long-term hardship
  • You don’t want to sell your home or haven’t been able to sell your home
  • You can no longer afford your home and you are ready to leave

For further assistance please contact us:

Kern Schools Loss Mitigation (661) 833-7505 option 2 or (800) 221-3311

Kern Schools Loan Modification (661) 833-7505 option 3 or (800) 221-3311

Email: MortgageAssistance@ksfcu.org*

*Please note: Email is not a secure method of communication. Please do not send personal, account or other sensitive information via email. Our replies will not contain any personal account information. All requests to Kern Schools for Assistance will be handled Monday through Friday, between the hours of 8:00 AM and 5:00 PM.

Additional Resources

Department of Housing & Urban Development: (800) 569-2487 • http://www.hud.gov/

Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB): https://www.consumerfinance.gov/find-a-housing-counselor/

Not sure who your lender might be?

Knowyouroptions.com enables mortgage borrows to quickly determine if Fannie Mae owns their loan by providing a street address, unit, state and zip code.